Recipes and hints for those following a low FODMAP diet. All recipes are also gluten and lactose free!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Eating out - where?

So the biggest thing I've been struggling with on this diet is where to eat out...! I had rather an emotional time thinking I could order lunch in a cafe that serves gluten free goodies, yet discovered that pretty much everything edible has onion/dairy/garlic of some form in it.

Here's my suggestions so far:

  • Greek food! Haloumi and fetta are allowed, as is grilled meat and hot chips. Yippee! Just check before ordering if there are things that have been basted, sprinkled with, or marinated in garlic, and check the contents of any dressings on the salads. Also, make sure you eat around the onions!

My partner is pretty stoked about the greek food revelation as I'm pretty sure he's secretly Greek. He has been known to practical inhale Greek food by the plateful.

  • Grill'd. The chips are fine, and you can manufacture a burger that doesn't contain fodmaps. Things to watch out for are the beef or lamb patties (they contain the relish, which subsequently contains onions), and the sauces. The chicken breast and steak is fine, and they have gluten free buns. If you are craving sauce on your horribly dry bun, the cranberry is also fodmap-friendly. I have found that the grill'd chicken salad (sans onion) and chips is usually the tastiest and easiest option.

I'm hoping to eventually add more to this list. Please feel free to post your discoveries!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Skek,

    Have you found any drinks that agree with you other than water? I haven't as yet. I still miss Coke every second of every day. boohoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey soniam, apparently Lipton peach iced tea is fine. I bought a peach Nestea in Sydney hoping it was the same but it's not, and contains fructose, so it's a good idea to avoid them.

    I'm going to consult with my wonderful Coles shopping guide by Dr Sue Shepherd to see if there are some more. I seem to remember that Bundaberg ginger beer is ok, but don't quote me on it until I can update this and let you know for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried Sue's lollies? They're actually okay. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Grill'd Ceasar Palace burger looks pretty Fodmap friendly :) love their website and nutritional info!! No mention of onion or garlic in their Ceasar dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. American made drinks often have high fructose corn syrup, but San Pellegrino drinks are usually ok- real sugar. I ate the burger at grilld yesterday not realizing it had onion and then wondered why I wasn't feeling well.

    ReplyDelete